My first book!

booklet

I am thrilled to share with you the publication of my small book Bursting Out in Praise: Spirituality and Mental Health with Messenger Publications. At €5, it draws on my experience living with bipolar and aims to reach out to the general public and those with an openness to faith. It is divided into 20 reflections covering six steps to better mental health – upsides, downsides, recovery, balance, loving life and spirituality.

I provide reflection questions and inspirational reading, and guide readers to ‘burst out in praise’ in the midst of their pain or suffering. A review from the The Irish Catholic said it was “an excellent and insightful little work” and Thinking Faith said it was “deeply practical” and “highly recommended”. It is also available in Veritas bookstores and at a number of Parish bookshops in Ireland.

You may notice that many of the steps to better mental health are already covered in this blog. Indeed, I Love Bipolar gave me a platform to share what I consider hard-earned wisdom with the world. Thank you for being part of this journey with me. Click here for my podcast interview on the book. I would be glad to hear your feedback when you read it!

12 thoughts on “My first book!

1. Margaret September 6, 2019 / 2:12 pm

Just listened to the podcast Gavin. Particularly remember ‘fully functioning person’ from my diploma of counselling course when stayed up most of the night finishing my assignment with this title to be handed in the following day. This was January 1998 when I was combining managing a full time Health Visiting caseload working extra 5 hours to cover afternoon to attend self funded course about 35k away.
    I was admitted as an emergency to psychiatric ward later that evening (long story).
    Thank God I am well and so much in your podcast rings true for me. I graduated in psychology from open university (self funded) in own time while working full time.
    Both counselling and psychology do not seem to incorporate spirituality or if it does it is presented in a wishy washy way.
    I look forward to reading your book which I have just ordered.

• dublinwriter101 September 6, 2019 / 3:41 pm

Hi Margaret, it’s interesting that you came across the fully functioning person too. I think the contemplative perspective really adds another dimension. With regard the link between spirituality and psychology and counselling, I do hope things are changing. I believe the psychiatrist Jim Lucey is doing good work here. And thank you so much for ordering my book…looking forward to hearing what you think. Blessings, Gavin

Liked by 1 person

• Margaret September 6, 2019 / 4:02 pm

I agree Gavin, spirituality does add another dimension. The diploma counselling course used a person centred approach so the work of Carl Rogers figured a lot.will look up Jim Lucey.
        Blessings to you too ❤️🙏

• dublinwriter101 September 6, 2019 / 4:55 pm

Good luck Margaret!

2. Margaret September 15, 2019 / 11:08 am

Reblogged this on Impossible Becomes Possible and commented:
    My previous post seems to reinforce this post by Gavin on ‘dublinwriter101’ on reconciling or linking spirituality with psychology. Thanks Gavin for sharing your insights.

• dublinwriter101 September 16, 2019 / 4:01 pm

Thanks for this Margaret. I’m glad to hear we connected on a topic. It’s always good to bounce ideas off one another! Blessings, Gavin

Liked by 1 person

• Margaret September 16, 2019 / 6:18 pm

Yes it is Gavin, take care x

3. Create Space September 15, 2019 / 7:14 pm

Delighted to read of your publication and progression from blog to book. I wish you every success and happiness!

• dublinwriter101 September 16, 2019 / 4:05 pm

Thank you very much. Yes it was just step by step really. Wishing you well too! Blessings, Gavin

Liked by 1 person